Planning for Pets
Pets are important members of the family and must be included in emergency preparedness efforts.
Pet Emergency Plan
- Bring pets indoors during threatening weather, if possible
- Identify trusted sources that can check on your pet if you are unable to get home in a reasonable amount of time
- Consider micro chipping your pet
Pet Supply Kit
- Include a picture of yourself with your pet.
- Your pet’s medical records.
- Collar with ID tag, harness, leash, pet carrier.
- Pet food and water.
- Hygiene and sanitation items such as litter box and litter, newspapers, paper towels, plastic bags.
Evacuation with your Pet
- Locate hotels and motels outside your immediate area that will accept pets.
- Ask friends, relatives or others outside your area if they could shelter your animals.
- Prepare a list of boarding facilities and veterinarians who could shelter animals in an emergency; include 24-hour phone numbers.