As extreme winter temperatures continue, utilities serving the Kansas City metropolitan region are implementing temporary, emergency power reductions (rolling power outages) to combat the effects of the bitter weather on the energy supply. To learn more about how you might be affected, please visit your utility company’s website.
We can all help reduce the stress on the power grid. Here’s what you can do to conserve energy:
- Turn thermostats a little cooler (65-68 degrees). Avoid the use of electric space heaters.
- Close blinds and shades to reduce the amount of heat lost through windows.
- Turn off unnecessary lights and appliances
- When possible, delay non-essential uses of energy washing drying clothes, washing dishes and bathing to non-peak hours, between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- Use low-temperature cooking methods and avoid opening the oven door if it’s on.
For more winter preparedness information, visit our pages on: