This site was created in cooperation with the Regional Homeland Security Coordinating Committee, and is supported by funding from the Department of Homeland Security.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, space heaters are the leading cause of home fires during December, January and February. When used improperly, space heaters that are gas-fueled, kerosene-fueled, or electric, fixed or portable, wood stoves and fireplaces all can lead to serious injury or death.
Such disasters can be prevented by utilizing the following safety tips:
The Heart of America Metro Fire Chiefs urge all residents of the greater Kansas City area to use extreme caution when using space heaters. Contact your local Fire Department if you have any questions.
Floyd Peoples, Chief Fire Marshal, Kansas City, Mo., Fire Department, 816-784-9100
Heart of America Metro Fire Chiefs Council, 9550 W. 95th St., Overland Park, Kan. 66212