Regional Homeland Security Coordinating Committee

This site was created in cooperation with the Regional Homeland Security Coordinating Committee, and is supported by funding from the Department of Homeland Security.

 

Safety Tips from the Heart of America Metro Fire Chiefs Council

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is commonly known as “the silent killer.” Because it is colorless, odorless and tasteless, none of your senses can detect it. CO claims the lives of almost 300 people in their homes each year according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). CO is a potentially deadly gas that is produced by fuel-burning heating equipment, such as furnaces, wood stoves, fireplaces and kerosene heaters. Follow these guidelines to help keep your family safe:


Contacts:
Floyd Peoples, Chief Fire Marshal, Kansas City, Mo., Fire Department, 816-784-9100
Heart of America Metro Fire Chiefs Council, 9550 W. 95th St., Overland Park, Kan. 66212